Why Should I See A Dermatologist?
Dermatologists are specialists who provide treatments for conditions affecting the hair, nails and skin. Not often known is the fact that these three areas of the body are closely related and that conditions affecting one may sometimes affect the other two. The field of dermatology is both medical and cosmetic in nature.
Cosmetic dermatology is an ever growing area. There are many different treatments available. Concerns about fine lines, wrinkles and crow’s feet around the eye area can be treated with Botox injections. Wrinkle fillers include collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid which work to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles especially around the mouth area. Jones Dermatology also carries skincare product lines such as Obagi and PCA Skin which aid our physicians and esthetician to help you achieve your skincare goals.
Dr. John Jones works closely with a Licensed Medical Esthetician on our staff to incorporate medical grade treatments which target specific skin concerns. The physicians at Jones Dermatology can also recommend laser treatments, done in our office, to treat acne scars, brown spots, sun damage, Rosacea and unsightly leg veins. We also offer laser hair removal.
An ever popular treatment for aging skin or to combat the effects of aging is topical drug treatment with tretinoin. Jones Dermatology has a specially formulated version of tretinoin called A-Gel. A-Gel is easy to apply and cannot be seen or felt on the skin. It is also used for the treatment of acne.
Medical dermatology is focused on many conditions and diseases of the skin, hair and nails. The top five reasons to see a dermatologist are as follows:
- Skin cancer screening – a yearly skin check up to look for pre- cancerous growths. This is especially important for individuals with fair skin, light eyes, a family history of melanoma and/or more than 40 moles on the body. All suspicious skin lesions should be checked by a Dermatologist.
- Cysts and skin abnormalities – any skin condition that does not go away, such as a bump, growth, patch or mole that changes sizes, shape or color should be evaluated.
- Acne – there are effective regimens for each particular skin type
- Eczema – many suffer from irritation, itchiness and flaky patches of skin.
- Hair loss – experienced by both men and women, either gradually or suddenly.
So, when making an appointment for your skin care needs, you may want to consider these questions.
- How do I prevent skin cancer?
- What’s the best type of sunscreen to use?
- What are my options to make myself look younger?
- What is causing my acne?
- How often do I need to be seen for skin cancer screenings?
- These over the counter products aren’t working, can you help?
Seeking the expert advice of a dermatologist can actually save you money in the long run. Receiving expert advice on an effective skincare routine will help you to avoid spending money on products that are wrong or ineffective for your skin.
Lastly, the knowledge you gain will help you protect your skin and prevent premature aging. It may also help you to detect dangerous skin abnormalities before they become a problem.
Dr. Jones will speak to you about any condition that affects your appearance. Call 985-447-3889 or request an appointment online today for an appointment with one of our Board Certified Dermatologists. With our convenient office location and late appointment availability on Tuesdays, our goal is to take great care of our patients. Our skin care team has years of experience to assist you with all of your skin care needs. You will love what we can do for your skin!